O2 Initiatives is currently inviting applications for the O2 Sabbatical Award. The deadline for application submission is 5:00 pm PDT on Wednesday, August 17, 2022.
The application sections, instructions for submission, and application process timeline are described below.
Please note that registration is required to download some application components. You can register by clicking here or at the bottom of this page.
The O2 Sabbatical Award has an open application process. We appreciate the time and effort required to apply for the award, and we strongly recommend reviewing the eligibility requirements, program requirements, and selection criteria before beginning your application.
If you have specific questions about your eligibility and fit for the program, we encourage you to contact O2 Program Officer, Allison Domicone (email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here to schedule a call). We’ll be happy to talk through it with you. You can also find additional information on our FAQ page.
O2 is committed to advancing race equity and strives to create a diverse network of sabbatical awardees and alumni that is representative of the rich identities and communities in the San Francisco Bay Area. We strongly encourage executive directors who identify as Black, Indigenous, and People of Color to apply.
I. Application Sections
- Application Questionnaire
Download and complete the Application Questionnaire. (Register below to download)
- Organization Overview
Provide a one-page description of your organization and its programs.
Please respond to each of the following questions, not to exceed six pages total:
- Why are you engaged in your current field of work?
- What significant lessons have you learned along the way?
- What do you see yourself doing five years from now?
- What three things would make your job more manageable and less stressful, and why?
- Why do you want to take a sabbatical now? Why is this the right time for you and your organization?
- How would you like to use your time on sabbatical?
- If awarded a sabbatical, how will your responsibilities be covered during your absence?
- How do you currently budget funds for professional development? How would you propose to utilize the $15,000 offered as part of the O2 Sabbatical Award for staff professional development and leadership stipends? (for more information about the grant award components, please visit our FAQ page)
- Preliminary Sabbatical Budget
Download and complete the Preliminary Sabbatical Budget Form (Register below to download). Sample budgets are available for your reference (Register below to download).
- Supporting Documents
- Financial information for your organization:
- Board-approved budget for your current fiscal year
- Budget vs. actuals for your last fiscal year
- Most recently completed audited financial statements (note: if you do not have audited statements, you can submit unaudited statements)
Please include notes to your financials if an explanation would be useful for the selection committee
- Organizational chart and list of your organization’s leadership team
- List of your organization’s board members with affiliations
- Your resume that covers, at minimum, the past 10 years (feel free to use your LinkedIn profile if you do not have an updated resume)
- A brief letter of endorsement signed by your organization’s board chair. In addition to their endorsement of your sabbatical, the letter should also include a general plan for organizational management during your absence, as well as a guarantee that your existing health and other benefits will be maintained during the sabbatical period.
- A list of three professional references in the Bay Area; download and complete the Reference Form (Register below to download)
- Financial information for your organization:
II. How to Submit Your Application
- Applications must be received by 5:00 pm PST on Wednesday, August 17, 2022
- Please submit your application materials electronically in pdf format to admin@O2Initiatives.org with “[Your Last Name]-Sabbatical” in the subject line.
- We prefer that you submit all application materials as one pdf document by merging the Application Questionnaire, Organization Overview, Narrative, Preliminary Sabbatical Budget, and Supporting Documents (in the order listed above) into a single pdf document. Please name the document “[Your Last Name]-Sabbatical.”
- Please send your audited financial statements as a separate pdf document.
- We will send you an email confirming receipt of your application. If you have not received this confirmation by August 24, 2022 please contact us at admin@O2Initiatives.org.
III. Next Steps
- The O2 Selection Committee will review all applications and invite a short list of finalists to continue forward in the process.
- O2 Initiatives will contact you by November 16, 2022 to let you know whether or not you have been selected as a finalist.
- If you are selected as a finalist, next steps will include:
- A one-hour site visit (or virtual meeting) with you and your team in mid-January.
- A separate, one-hour individual interview with the O2 Sabbatical Award selection committee in late January.
- Candidates will be informed of the selection committee’s decision by the end of January, and a public announcement of the awardees will be made in early February.
- On average, we select six awardees per year.
Register to Download Application Forms
"*" indicates required fields